Traveling may be the hardest time to maintain a healthy lifestyle. However, keeping yourself feeling your best will make your trip that much more enjoyable!
Here are some healthy travel lifestyle hacks by Laura Arndt, personal trainer and CEO of Matriarc. Whether you’re traveling for business, vacation, or do a mix of both as digital nomads, following Laura’s tips are a must!
For the women out there living the jetset lifestyle, here are 7 tips for an awesome travel experience:
- Always pack healthy snacks in your travel bag like almonds, fresh fruit and healthy bars. You want to keep your blood sugar steady so you don’t end up hungry on the road or in airports and give in to fast food temptations.
- Bring workout clothes and sneakers even if you don’t think you’ll have time to exercise. You want to be prepared to walk whenever possible and sneak in short bursts of activity.
- Pack exercise bands with handles or a TRX you can attach to a closet door. You can train your entire body without with minimal equipment and keep up your fitness while you travel. There are some great apps, videos and workout plans online you can access from all over the world.
- Wear a fitness tracker throughout your travel so you are aware of how much you’re moving and track calories on an app so you stay within a healthy range.
- Avoid alcohol and dessert as a vacation treat. Many of us indulge already more than we should, so travel is not the time to tack on extra calories. Alcohol will also lead to worse sleep and lower the likelihood that you’ll stay active.
- Get plenty of rest. Traveling can be hectic but make sure you carve out time for sleep so you don’t return from travel exhausted.
- Have healthy food in the freezer ready to be cooked as soon as you arrive home. Getting to the grocery store immediately after travel won’t be high on your list so make sure you prepare ahead of time so you can cook a healthy meal upon arrival.
What are your favorite travel hacks for a healthy and fun travel experience? Let us know in the comments below!
NSCA-CSCS, CEO of Matriarc
Laura Arndt is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer, Certified Pilates instructor and
the owner of 2 health and wellness companies.